Thursday, January 2, 2014

Book Review: Why I Failed

Why I Failed
- Shweta Punj

4 years back, I wrote a blog about my partner search and observed in the beginning, why one should listen to losers (like me) and how it helps. I got a chance now to read about some very high profile losers (not in the end, but at some point of time) and what did they do when they were lost.

Why I failed is a compilation of stories of 16 prominent Indians (mostly business persons, some from sports, cinema and fashion industries). Unlike Rashmi Bansal's Connecting the Dots and Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish, this one talks only about loosing and fighting back aspects of their careers. 

Some were ahead of their times with their ideas, some couldn't get others buy their vision, some were so obsessed with their ideas and utopian in their outlook that they never thought plan-B would ever be required, and some aspired for wrong things. What makes it a fascinating read is, how they handled their failure and bounced back.

The persons being high profile, so were their failures. So, I felt, at times, I couldn't connect much. That's partially due to the 30000 ft view presented by the author and her pace. But, for those who enjoy powerful quotes and philosophical verses, it's a feast. They are aplenty.

2 comments:

Nihar said...

So did it serve the purpose?
Apart from the philosophical verses, did you get to learn anything substantial from the losers? Or were the losers smart enough to not disclose their secrets? :D

Srinivas Guntupalli said...

Nihar,
There is quite a lot to learn. But, as I mentioned, due to its 30000 ft view, it helps hands-on entrepreneurs, with a lot at stake, more than people doing mundane stuff. I read such books not to learn something quickly, but, just to imbibe stuff that may help in ways that we least expect.