Monday, February 9, 2015

Runners For Ever - Marathon Silver Jubilee

A lot of interesting things happened in the last one year. I mean, my last running year. 

Co-founded a running group in Bangalore, with like minded runners, called Runners For Ever (RFE). RFE Members have only one thing in common. They are all runners and they love their sport. Some of them are pacers, some are cruisers. We have weight watchers and also body sculptors. Some are chasing the Marathons that need the fastest possible pace by amateurs, and some are behind the longest ever distances treaded by distance runners. The only thing that keeps RFEs together is, we all run and we make sure that we have great fun, while we are at it.

I have my own humble journey. To join 100-Marathon Club, some day. I just crossed my Marathon Silver Jubilee (25 Full Marathons), an important milestone en route the 100-Marathon Club. I wanted to cross this milestone at an event, where my running group would be with me. So, I chose Mumbai (SCMM) as the place where I would cross it. Mumbai Marathon is something that hardly any distance runner in India misses. Though organisers had been indifferent one way or the other, the beautiful course, amazing support from residents through out the course, make it the best Marathon in India. So, I obviously chose it for the Silver Jubilee. I started 2014 with my 18th Marathon in Mumbai. I had 6 more to go to make it the 25th Marathon in Mumbai, the following year.

Mumbai -> Auroville, Pondicherry -> Zurich, Switzerland -> Hyderabad -> Vietnam -> Bengaluru -> Bangalore Mid-Night -> Mumbai : That's my Odyssey towards this cute little feat.

Bangalore Mid-Night Marathon finish has been the most memorable finish among all the runs that I did so far. It started at 12 Mid-Night. I planned to finish the run around 5 AM. RFEs promised to give me company, while I need it the most. The last 7-8 KM. Despite their promise, I didn't expect them. Because, if there is anything unearthly than running a Marathon at 12 Mid-Night, it's waking up a 2 AM and reaching the Marathon course across the city, to support a runner from 3 AM to the finish. And, defying all common sense, they turned up :-) Not just 1 or 2, but, a big bunch of them, right at 3 AM. And, we ran together till I touched the finish line at 4:40 AM. Then, we drove to Lalbagh, walked around enjoying the early morning chill till MTR opens, and had a great breakfast in a private room booked to celebrate the occasion, with full attendance, as rest of the RFEs made it to the breakfast. :-)

Vietnam Mountain Marathon deserves a special mention. It's more of a trek than a run for me,  with  elevation gain and loss to the tune of thousands of feet. It's organised in the border mountains between Vietnam & China. The area is untouched by modern civilisation, with only a handful of tribes having access to it. A Danish Tourism company and Danish Embassy in Vietnam organise the event with help from a lot of local organisations. Undeniably, one of the most interesting places that I ever visited during my MOMO, and an event that I don't mind repeating in the coming years.

That brings the curtains down on the last running year and my Marathon Silver Jubilee.



No comments: