Saturday, March 5, 2011

Changing Times - Indian Police

For those who are waiting for sophistication among Indian Police, it seems, they are almost there. Well..., may be, not all (Considering this digital divide experience, not very long ago). But, surely, there is some change. And, that is on a positive side.

Proof 1:

A year back, my passport application has come to our local police station for address verification. I received a call from the police station, as expected. The call goes as follows:

A lady constable: Hello Sir ! Am I speaking to Mr. Srinivas ? (In crisp English, In "Hello Sir ! This is so-and-so from ICICI bank" style)
Me: Yes. (I considered to cut that call for a moment, thinking that was yet another tele-marketing call. But continued, as I was jobless at my the then new workplace)
Constable: Sir ! We are calling from HSR layout police station. You passport has come for verification. When can you come to the station, Sir ?
Me: ?!??!! (A call from police station, in crisp English, calling me Sir !!)

But, once I reached the police station, I had to shell out a few 100s as 'verification charges' (the phrase used by the one who verified my address, sitting right at that station, and looking at the same documents that I submitted to passport office, which have been forwarded to him, with out asking me any more questions :) )

Proof 2:
Today, I took a U-turn on my bike, where it was not allowed, while frantically searching for an address along with a pillion-rider. A traffic police constable jumped in front of the bike and asked me to stop. The conversation goes as follows:

Me: What ? (very confidently, as I have not seen 'No U-turn' board)
Constable: No U-turn board (points me to that)
Me: Oh ! Ok
Constable: Pay 100 Rs to Inspector (points me to an inspector fiddling with his blackberry)
Inspector: Your Driving License Sir.
Me: I hand over my DL
Inspector: Your vehicle number Sir.
Me:
I give up !

Inspector types my name, vehicle number and offense on his blackberry, points it to a portable printer (works over blue-tooth, I guess) and gives me the receipt and my license and says "Thank You Sir !"

2 comments:

Apoorv Sharma said...

Interesting
-Apoorv Sharmad

Harish said...

Even my previous experiences with Police till date has been really good... especially the young and new generation Police officers... they look quite educated and civilized. At times to certain class of people they got to be rough and tough, but thats what their profession demands for. I guess we got the wrong perception of police men bcoz of way they are projected in movies.

Even my experience with Income Tax refund and PF has been really good... I was able to get my money with out much of an hassle and not not shelling out single paise... all it required was simple visit to their office. People in the office looked more than happy to help me. Its time for us to stop cribbing about government employees/offices and be aware of procedures and rule. Atleast its time to spread some positive changes in the system.